Player Development and Success
The goal of the club is to provide players with the tools necessary to develop and reach their potential as soccer players. We focus on teaching technical skills, especially composure on the ball under pressure; tactical intelligence with an emphasis on possession; tenacious individual and team defending; and a committed work ethic. Our emphasis on player development can be seen many ways:
- numerous players on local high school teams
- we average over a dozen players selected for Cal South’s Pro+ (formerly “ODP” a/k/a Olympic Development Program) per year. Our players participate in all the major player identification programs
- we have numerous alumni playing in college, including major Division I schools such as Duke, UCLA, and Washington
- three players are on the US U18 / U20 / U23 national teams
- three recent players (Gyasi Zardes, Oscar Sorto, and Jose Villareal) are on the Galaxy roster, as is alumnus Robbie Rogers; Kei Kamara, Shannon Boxx and others are also current professional players
We offer our own goalkeeper training, run a program to prepare interested players and parents for the college recruitment process, and spend significant effort developing our coaching staff.
The club’s curriculum is implemented by one of the best coaching staffs in Southern California. Many are club soccer veterans who have spent years developing players like yours. The staff has professional and practical experience that includes coaching at MLS teams; NCAA Division I, II, and III schools; coaching ODP teams; developing successful club teams; and scouting at the state, regional, national, and professional levels. Their playing experience includes US and other national teams, Olympic teams, World Cup teams, MLS, and NCAA Division I teams. Many have shown their commitment to their profession by obtaining high-level USSF A or B licenses.
The club is by many measures the most successful soccer club in the South Bay. While we don’t emphasize winning games at the younger ages, the results of our approach can be seen in the success of our older teams, which include some of the best teams of any club in the state. LAGSB teams regularly play for league, Cal South, and tournament championships, and appear in the major showcase events such as Dallas Cup, Surf Cup, Nomads, Las Vegas Showcase, and Final Four Showcase. Since spring 2010, three of our teams have appeared in national finals, and they’ve won two of them.
Although our younger teams focus on player development rather than results, we currently have eight teams in the top twenty in their age group in Southern California (per GotSoccer.com) and others have achieved noteworthy success in league play and State / National Cup.